This information is provided to facilitate an easy process between architects, home-owners, building officials and masonry heater and oven builders. While these resources provide good background information, they should not be considered as a replacement for the important process of finding a masonry heater builder in your area and communicating directly beginning early in the planning process. Masonry heaters interact with many important elements of a building and, therefore, good planning is essential for a succesful project.
Information on Masonry Heaters & Building Codes:
- Building Code Coverage of Masonry Heaters (PDF File) by Norbert Senf, Masonry Stove Builders
- Codes and Standards for Masonry Fireplaces and Chimneys by Jim Buckley, Buckley Rumford Fireplaces
- Available for purchase from ASTM International.Â From website description: “This guide can be used by code officials, architects, and other interested parties to evaluate the design and construction of masonry heaters. It is not restricted to a specific method of construction, nor does it provide all specific details of construction of a masonry heater. This guide does provide the principles to be followed for the safe construction of masonry heaters.”
- Masonry Heaters: Planning Guide for Architects, Home Designers, and Builders by Alex Chernov, Stovemaster
- The Heat-Kit Planning Guide by Norbert Senf, Masonry Stove Builders
- Tempcast Planning Guide by John Lagamba, Tempcast
This is an important reference page that the MHA has tagged as needing to be developed further. If you have ideas about links or would like to submit original content for review for this page, please go to the Content Submission Form.