Heater flue sizing

Home Forums General Masonry Heater Discussion Heater flue sizing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  adkroot 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

adkroot
    Participant

I’m in the early planning stages for construction of a heater in my new home. Though I’ve not yet done an analysis of the btu requirements for the house I’m wondering if flue size is consistent for medium to large heater sizes. I’ll be using a class A insulated stainless chimney and I’d like to install it now so I can use a woodstove to heat the house while I’m continuing to work. Thanks, Daniel

yellowcat
    Participant

Daniel,
    I’m pretty sure that all masonry heaters, that would be classified as being of medium to heavy, will require an 8″ round chimney. But, there are always exceptions, but I’m pretty sure those would be of much less mass and probably have a 6″ top vent configuration. It may be very hard to find a “modern” wood stove that doesn’t require a 6″ only chimney.
    There are some older uncertified stoves and inserts still in use that are using 8″ or even larger all masonry chimneys. Depending on where you live and how well your local building code authorities care to enforce the chimney and venting requirements, it may be difficult to acquire an older appliance that could be vented by an 8″ round chimney.

A possibility to consider might be to install a less expensive 6″ flex pipe temporarily in an assessible chimney chase that could be refitted with an 8″ chimney at a later time.

adkroot
    Participant
    Daniel, I’m pretty sure that all masonry heaters, that would be classified as being of medium to heavy, will require an 8? round chimney. But, there are always exceptions, but I’m pretty sure those would be of much less mass and probably have a 6? top vent configuration. It may be very hard to find a “modern” wood stove that doesn’t require a 6? only chimney. There are some older uncertified stoves and inserts still in use that are using 8? or even larger all masonry chimneys. Depending on where you live and how well your local building code authorities care to enforce the chimney and venting requirements, it may be difficult to acquire an older appliance that could be vented by an 8? round chimney.
    A possibility to consider might be to install a less expensive 6? flex pipe temporarily in an assessible chimney chase that could be refitted with an 8? chimney at a later time.

Thanks for the reply. The stove I’m planning to install will work well with an 8″ flue. It’s only being used to heat the house while I’m still working on it – just got closed in and have a ways to go yet. The advantage of installing the pipe now is I can utililize it for the temporary heater while not having to purchase something that I’ll have to just remove and resell later on. No intention of building a masonry chimney and the install of the steel pipe will be one more thing out of the way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.