chimney systems

Home Forums General Masonry Heater Discussion chimney systems

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  yellowcat 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

PFM
    Participant

I’m new to this site and to masonry heaters. I just build a 1700 sqft pole barn to house my farm market. I would eventually like to build a masonry heater and have a 8′ wide by 10′ outside wall space that I believe will be a good location. However, this project is unlikely to happen this year, and for the time being, I bought a medium size wood stove to heat the space.

My question, in planning for an eventual masonry heater for that space, which size and type of chimney should I install? I was planning on some sort of stainless steel chimney system, I would prefer to install a chimney that will accommodate the wood stove for now, and the masonry heater in the future/

yellowcat
    Participant

Many masonry heater designs, but not all, require an 8″ round metal or an 8’X 12″ clay chimney liner. Some of the top vented designs will work with a 6″ round. A top vented heater has the advantage of a substantially smaller footprint if floor space is limited. But, having a bottom vented chimney connection makes incorporating a heated bench into the design pretty straight forward.

Most, but not all, of the newer certified stoves will need to use a 6″ round chimney, from the appliance all the way to the top,to work properly ( no reducers ). If your chimney location will require a lot of it to be exposed outside of the structure, especially into the prevailing wind, an insulated ” Class A ” chimney would be highly recommended. Masonry chimneys with clay liners can also be insulated, but will require a slightly larger space around the liner to be filled with perlite, vermiculite, or some other non combustible insulating material.Of course if you live in a seismic zone that requires it, you would also need to have rebar and grout in the corners of a masonry chimney.But, that is not a bad idea for almost anywhere.

The least expensive option would probably be a single wall 6″ pipe straight off the top of a stove. Then going to an insulated pipe when it exits the roof. A more expensive plan, but more options for the future, would be to build a substantial size masonry chase that exits somewhere near the roof ridgeline that could accommodate perhaps an insulated flex pipe to a wood stove for now, but big enough on the inside to allow for an insulated 8″ rigid or flex pipe to be installed all the way to the bottom later.

There are also several heater manufacturers that offer chimney/venting planning options on their websites.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.